This was my Facebook status last night, and judging by the comments – I have some “explaining” to do. Ruth, this is your explanation.
Through the ELL Corridor I am taking a course on Digital Literacy in the ESL classroom. It is very exciting to learn about different programs available on the web – and JING is one of them! It’s the only one I could get to work on my Windows 8 laptop. Here’s the link: http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html
And if you are really interested, here’s a link to that very first JING: http://screencast.com/t/oh0tr3BEj0Q
I’ve only begun to explore this, but I made another one, off the cuff, this morning and I can see some potential for my ESL classes.
- It’s pretty easy to use.
- It comes with an instructional video that can be watched at home and as a class.
- Students can do these on their own time, using pictures or screenshots that interest them.
- It’s ideal for planned or “off the cuff” presentations.
- By watching JINGS made over time, you can track your improvement.
I’m pretty sure that I can’t download this program to the computers at my school. But, as long as I bring home the right power cord at night, we can enjoy making JINGS on my computer. I’m looking forward to trying it!
As I said before, I’m not very comfortable with all the technology that surrounds me, inspite of the laptop, desk top, Smart phone and Blackberry playbook that I have. I know I don’t use them to their fullest capacity. But I think that I can learn to use this well over time. Stay tuned for more JING links as they come available!
Ruth, I hope that gives a little more explanation!
Please note: I haven’t read the articles below, but I’m going to. I do have to go to the gym and start my tanning program (Long awaited cruise is now only 30 days away!) I’m looking forward to learning more!
- How to Use Jing (steelvakristel.wordpress.com)
- Gregory Hill on storytelling, giving student feedback and improving writing with Jing (joedale.typepad.com)
- Three Teachers’ Treasured Technologies (psychologicalscience.org)
- The 15 Education Technologies To Know About This Year (edudemic.com)
- 15 Education Technologies To Check Out in 2013 (classroom-aid.com)
- Keys to Flipping the Lesson First – Not the Classroom (fishingforedtech.com)
- TechSmith Partners with the State of Michigan Department of Education to Sponsor Digital Learning Day on February 6 (sys-con.com)