First of all, I did not go to the gym.
Today, Saturday, at 8 o-clock, I was at the gym. All week I got up early and by 6:30 I was either there or en route. Sunday is my day to STOP and do something different with my morning.
I work at Calgary Co-op, so it’s so easy to spend money. On Sunday I left it at home – all my plastic, all my coins, all my coupons. They stayed home and rested.
I also turned my computer off. It works pretty steadily all week long (although it did have a few breaks this week, as I kept tripping the breaker and had to wait for access to the downstairs suite for fixing it!)
Resting is hard work, I found that first Sunday.
It was hard to leave the computer off. What if my mom played a move on our Lexulous game? What if Farmville started some new thing? What if someone sent me an urgent message? None the less, off it stayed!
It was also surprisingly hard not to spend that first Sunday. So many things cropped up that I “might” need – like a bit of chocolate for instance?
Not going to the gym was probably the easiest resolution to keep. I walk to work, so I got some moving time in. But… it did free up an hour and a bit, that I could not fill up with computer activities. And I’m not a sleeper-inner, so that wasn’t a solution.
How do you STOP the activities for a day or two?
- Plan the menu and do the shopping, so that you don’t have to pick things up on your OFF day.
- Plan ahead for the treats you might like to have, and get them.
- If you’re a Farmviller, plant 2 or 3 day crops, or invest in an “Unwither Ring” and just let it grow.
- Turn off the alarm and get up when you’re ready to.
- Make a “nice spot” where you can just sit and be for a bit, while you’re NOT doing what you normally do!
- Enjoy your coffee, linger over breakfast, relax and enjoy those extra minutes or hours that aren’t taken up those regular activities.
Rest, I think, requires a decision and a plan. It means saying STOP to some things in your life and YES to some more restful things.
It doesn’t have to be Sunday, but I am glad that GOD ordered us to “take a break” once a week. I am looking forward to tomorrow!
See you Monday for the “weekly stats!”